We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
"Little Gidding"
T S Eliot

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Curious Challenge Consequence!

The Ashtead Craft Club issues a annual challenge each January, and this year it is an art journalling one.

So, never having done any art journalling before, I'm now taking part in two challenges! The other one is the Craft Barn challenge based on Quotes and Lyrics; as I've collected quotes forever, it really appealed to me. And then along comes the Club Challenge ......

I'm coming to realise the point of art journalling - which is experimentation; exploring techniques and ideas  - and it doesn't matter how it turns out!

The Club Challenge is based on Wreck this Journal, and called Dec this Journal.  A list of subjects/topics has been provided, and there are additional challenge pages every couple of months.  At the end of the year a minimum of 10 pages have to be completed (out of a possible 24).  I've already done some, and I have already shown one in a previous post - The Blue Girl (see here) - where the challenge is "choose a colour, make a collage".

The first bi-monthly challenge was "take a book page and highlight favourite words", and entries were due in at the last workshop.

I turned (again) to one of my favourite books - Through the Looking Glass.  I've got a copy that I found in a charity shop, which I don't mind tearing up! I've also got some Alice stamps - perfect!  I love alliteration, hence my choice of words; but I wasn't sure how it would turn out - and that is the beauty of art journalling - surprising myself!

The background is created by random diluted acrylic paint. The highlighted words read - a cautiously curious consequence of the prettiest sheep ..... and have been cut from the page - up to you to figure out which word goes where on the original page!


The prettiest sheep is hand cut from card, and I think she deserves her beauty contest crown!

No comments:

Post a Comment